The FCS School Nutrition Program’s food safety and sanitation procedures are in place to ensure safe meals are served at all times in all schools within the county. Our department prides itself in the efforts of always putting the customer first. To ensure this, our procedures often far exceed what is required by the Georgia Food Code for food establishments.
Additional Food Safety Training
- ServSafe is a Food Service Sanitation Course developed by the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation to provide certification required to serve safe food.
- 100% of Fulton County School Nutrition Managers have current ServSafe certification.
- Certifications are renewed every 5 years by retaking the ServSafe course and examination.
- All employees receive food safety training twice yearly in basic food safety, personal hygiene, cross-contamination, time & temperature control, and cleaning & sanitation.
- All new hires receive food safety training within the first 24 hours of hire as required by United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
- In addition to being ServSafe certified, all managers receive additional food safety training annually.
Campbell Elementary School Class
Ensuring Safe Foods are Served at All Times
- As required by USDA and the Fulton County Health Department, all Fulton County School Nutrition Managers must implement a systematic approach to the identification, evaluation and control of food safety hazards to prevent food borne illness under a Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) program.
- All School Nutrition Programs are required to implement local standard operating procedures for monitoring personal hygiene, pest control and facility cleanliness in addition to requirements set by the Fulton County Health Department.
- All School Nutrition Programs are inspected by School Nutrition Area Supervisors on an on-going basis.
- All School Nutrition Programs are inspected by Fulton County Health Department twice yearly.
- All food vendors providing food items to Fulton County School Nutrition must also utilize HACCP.
For federal food safety information visit www.foodsafety.gov/